Thursday 8 December 2011

Data warehousing for human life


I always thought that the technology growth or any inventions are helping all humans or at least one group of humans.

I was playing with my 3 year old daughter. As every one know kids at this age ask most of the intelligent questions. She casually asked a question to me
Daddy, am I active like mom or you? (Of course she asked this question in her mother tongue).
I answered her you are active like your mom.
Then she asked, when she was at my age does mom used the laptop mouse on her left hand or right hand? (We were asking our daughter to use mouse with her right hand)
I was starring at my wife searching for answer ……..
Then I started to give a long answer.My daughter just starred at me for some time and went back to her laptop.

I started to just re access the conversation we had.
Since parents are the first teachers and kids always want to know how they are performing compared to parents.
She just wanted to know, does she is growing like her mom or dad?
Her laptop usage is as whom? Which seems to be a valid question?

Professionally I design data warehouse, provide business Intelligence solutions to answer these questions for various businesses. But I could not answer the same question to my daughter in a proper way.
Though we never had nor even heard of  computer at our early ages, I could not answer do we had used right hand or left hand for our activities during drawing , writing etc.. in our early ages
No data points to substantiate. If we are lucky our parents or grand parents may remember.

I asked myself “why don’t I have something to analyze my own life?”
Deep thinking on this topic made me to realise that, we as technocrats build lot of intelligent tools to make correct decision for business and to correct if there was any red flags in the business process etc…
But, had we built some thing to do the same for our personal life?
I see a list less benefit for man kind by having such a system
- Our kids can compare their habits with parent’s habits
- Parents can see any psychological changes at an early stage, which will help kids to correct easily
- Young adults can see how he is performing with parents or even comparing with grandparents or even with a person who is performing well in their area of interest
-  Etc…

Always we have other side for any such new technology or road blocks in implementing this technology
Your feedbacks are very valuable for this new technology to evolve….
All comments are welcome.

4 comments:

  1. Intersting thought.
    There should be an organization which does this already , we may not be aware of that ... let us see if some one finds us that ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. One person new technology is another person history. I remember the time when Bill gates told 64 KB is more than enough for any PC.

    It is good idea to have something to analyze own life but with time and advancement in technology, it keeps on changing.
    For example, there was no facebook web-site when we were Young, so for next generation it will be something else better than
    facebook.

    It is impossible to analyze life of others and compare with future or past. Yes, you can analyze your own life based on technology available at your time.


    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every innovation or discovery has two facets just like a coin.It has pros and cons. Pros are highlighted with positive tone and marketed for business.
    Technology is just a facilitator to make so called "progress" in faster pace or enabler "to say move with the wind" attitude without that we can still be there without any issues but our so called "progress" may be felt in slower pace.

    Sam
    Change Always Is!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do agree with you. Like everything else new technology brings good and bad
    result. For example, internet has brought humans to explore the knowledge
    and do research on any issue to find the resolution. At the same time, it brought
    web-site like FACEBOOK and other social media that has brought 50% divorce
    in the Europe alone.

    Not to mention, to child molester to find the next child victim
    has become so easy because of the internet.

    ReplyDelete